My sister is a work-at-home mom. She is a business, sometimes medical, transcriptionist. Transcriptionists convert voice recorded reports to text formats. Sounds easy, right? Actually it’s not as easy as it sounds, especially if you’re listening to a person with a heavy accent.
You might have found your way to this post while searching for instructions on how to become a transcriptionist or you’re looking for transcription jobs. I can help you with the former.
1. You need a computer, headphones, a software called Express Scribe that you can download for free and a foot pedal.
2. Download some sample transcription reports and practice transcribing it.
3. Improve your typing speed.
4. Learn “how to read between the lines”, for speakers heavy accents you definitely need that skill.
5. Ready? Start applying for transcription jobs, many can be found online.