09 August, 2010

i thought it will make me rich!

Math was my favorite subject in high school. My math teacher made me believe that I am a math genius! That made me decide to study Math in college. I passed the UPCAT (University of the Philippines College Admission Test) and took up Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics Major in Actuarial Science.

University of the Philippines, UP
I was already counting my salary, when I finally become an Actuary, way before I even graduate and pass my first Actuarial Examination. An actuary is a combination of a business executive, mathematician, financier, sociologist and investment manager. Sounds like a boring, nerdy person right?

Although studying insurance quotes was not part of the curriculum, I still got bored. My heart was not into "working with numbers" anymore but I still finished college.

I did work in an Actuarial firm for a few years but I eventually decided not to become an Actuary after all. What's the use of being rich if I am so bored and not happy with my work. I choose to be poor and happy. Yay for me?

1 comments:

Ruru said...

Yay for you for having the balls to stick to your guns ;p Now that I'm taking up Nursing, I'm astonished to find out that I actually like it. It's funny how I find it more interesting than the econ. subjects that I took in UP. I guess it's also the sign of the times. Unlike our parents who were stuck with the same career all their lives, we tend to shift until we find our niche.

Related Posts with Thumbnails